Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgPhone: +34 93 645 29 00
B.Sc. in Experimental Physiscs, University of Florence, 1986
Electronic Systems Engineering, University di Florence,2003
He has been involved in research activities concerning the application of spaceborne and terrestrial radar techniques since 1986. During these more than three working decades, he dedicated to microwave remote sensing, active and passive, both in industrial and research institutions, aiming at the development and experimentation of microwave sensors. He took part in several international remote sensing campaigns organized by ESA and EC, as detailed below, and also national (Italian and Spanish) research contracts and projects. After a first period dedicated to the development of advanced Microwave technologies for Remote Sensing, working in public Research Foundations and Radar companies, he moved to University. He worked with the Department of Electronics and Telecommunications of the University of Florence, and later with the Department of Earth Sciences of the same University, dealing with various applications from the monitoring of volcanic areas, to the development and experimentation of microwave sensors for the detection of vital signs, and Civil Engineering and Cultural Heritage applications. In 2010 he moved to the Institute of Geomatics, where he was involved in the design and experimentation of radar-based sensing techniques. As experimental researcher, he has often leading the design and implementation of prototypes: microwave radiometers, terrestrial Radar (see cited patents) and sensors for different applications (see papers). His research lines fit the CTTC strategic research of the division: Geophysical applications of microwave sensors and techniques, with emphasis in the observation of land surfaces through terrestrial and satellite microwave interferometry, and civil structures monitoring.
Pieraccini, M., Luzi, G., and Atzeni, C. “Tecnica Radar Interferometrica per la misura dello stato vibrazionale di grandi struture” Dossier: 1862/2001. Country: Italy. Date: 13.04.2001
He is one of the PI of the CTTC Spin-off Geo-Kinesia
He authored and co-authored more than 70 peer reviewed papers in International Journals and more than 120 papers for Conference Proceedings of International conferences. His present Bibliometric indexes (@20 July 2020) are:
Scholar: Num. citations 3825, H index: 34, i10-index 62.
Scopus: Num. citations 2525, H index:28
He acts regularly as reviewers for the following journal: IEEE TRGS, IEEE GRSL, IEEE JSTAR, Remote Sensing, Sensors, International Journal of Remote sensing, Journal of Applied Remote Sensing, ISPRS publications (International Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing)
Recent Keynotes/invited presentations in international conferences
European Geoscience Union 2020 Conference GI5.2 Terrestrial Radar Interferometry Applications in Geosciences Convenor
Lecturer at the 8 editions of the International course at CTTC: “Ground Based SAR for deformation Monitoring: data analysis”.
He is founder member of the Microwave Remote Sensing Centre which organizes every two years since 1988 The International Specialist meeting of Microwave Radiometry (mRAD) sponsored by IEEE, NASA ESA and other outstanding institutes linked to Space missions.
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8924-9029
- GIMS. “Geodetic Integrated Monitoring System”. Coordinador: Geomatics Research & Development SRL. Programa: H2020-GALILEO-GSA-2017. Topic: GALILEO-3-2017. 262.685 €. 2017-2019. WP manager. Responsible of the Active Radar reflector design and implementation.
- MOMPA: (EFA295/19) 65% por el Fondo Europeo de Desarrollo Regional (FEDER – ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/es/) a través del Interreg V-A España, Francia, Andorra (POCTEFA 2014-2020).
- HEIMDALL: Multi-hazard cooperative management tool for data exchange. Coordinator: DLR. Program H2020-SEC-2016-2017. Topic: SEC-01-DRS-2016. CTTC Budget: 261 125 €. PI and scientific responsible.
- APHORISM: Advanced procedures for volcanic and seismic monitoring. FP7-SPACE-2013-1, Project number: 606738. WP manager, PI and scientific responsible.
- GALAHAD: Advanced Remote Sensing Techniques for Glaciers, Avalanches and Landslides Hazard Mitigation. Specific Targeted Research Project of the Sixth Framework Programme of the European Commission, EU Project N. 018409 (2005–2008). UNIFI scientific responsible
- Use of a ground based SAR for the detection of structural deformations of civil structure. European Commission, DGXIII, Telematics for Libraries Programme Framework (January – December 1998). Use of a ground based SAR for the detection of structural deformations of civil structure. Project N. (13691-1998-02 F1PCA ISP IT). Scientific responsible.
- MEDALUS: application of Microwave Remote Sensing for the Monitoring of the Degradation affected surface. Fourth Framework Programme of the European Commission, ENV4 CT95-0119 (1993–1995). Responsible for Microwave sensors data analysis.
- MAC91 Europe: airborne campaign performed with the AIRSAR-JPL funded by: NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory JPL and Italian Space Agency ( 01.1991 – 12.1991). Responsible for the experimental campaign.
- EPOCH-RIVET: Microwave Remote Sensing as a support to soil Erosion Forecasting. Fifth Framework Programme of the European Commission, EC CT90-0027 (1989–1992). Responsible for Microwave Sensors data analysis.
- Study of improved methods for soil moisture content measurement by means of multi-band microwave radiometry. ESA/ESTEC (European Space Agency / European Space Research and Technology Centre) Contract n.7423/87/NL/JS (1988–1989). Responsible for the experimental campaign and data processing.
- AGRISCATT-87/88 Analysis of radar images over an agricultural test site. Funded by European Space Agency (1987- 1988) Responsible for the experimental campaign
- SAR.net2, Support to the national warning system, warning, rapid mapping and risk assessment in Stromboli. Funded by the Italian Home Office and Civil Protection (2008–2011). Responsible for Microwave sensors data analysis.
- Monitoring the Volcanic island Stromboli”. Funded by the National Institute of Geology and Vulcanology (2008 – 2010). Sviluppo e sperimentazione di un sensore a Microonde per il controllo remoto dei parametri vitali. Funded by the Italian Ministry of Research and University ( 2005-2007). Radar data analysis responsible.
- Sviluppo e impiego di innovative tecniche radar di introspezione muraria per la diagnosi di edifici storici e per la verifica degli interventi di recupero funded by the Italian Ministry of research and University (2002 – 2005). Radar data responsible.
- PARNASO (Patrimonio Artistico Nuove Tecnologie Applicate per lo Sviluppo e l’Occupazione). Funded by the Italian Ministry of research and University (2000 – 2003). Developer of radar prototypes.
- Sviluppo di un sistema automatico per la prevenzione dagli attacchi parassitari in viticoltura. Funded by Italian National Council for Research (CNR) Contact number: n. 9400391 CT12 ( 01/01/1994 – 31/12/1995). PI
- Metodologia per l’integrazione di immagini radar a alta risoluzione con dati forniti da sensori nel Visibile/Infrarosso Italian National Council for Research (CNR) n. 9400927 CT11 (01/01/1994- 31/12/1995). PI.
- CIUDEN: Monitorización de deformaciones durante el período de inyección mediante técnicas SAR. Programa de Almacenamiento Geológico de CO2. Funded by Fundación Ciudad de la Energía (CIUDEN) (2010 – 2012).
- XLIDE: Desarrollo de herramientas para el análisis de estabilidad en laderas con riesgo potencial sobre infraestructuras críticas. Sub-Programa INNPACTO. Funded by Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation (2008 – 2011)
- SAXA: Monitoraggio di frane di roccia e con interferometria SAR terrestre (Monitorització de despreniments de roques i esllavissades amb interferometria SAR terrestre) funded by Government of Catalonia AGAUR (2010 CTP 00048). (2011 – 2012).
- New developments in geophysics and engineering applied to seismic risk assessment (NAGIARS). Funded by Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (MINECO) (2012 – 2013). Coordinated by UPC . Responsible for Radar activities.
- HAPERISK: Desarrollo y aplicación de herramientas avanzadas para la evaluación, prevención y gestión del riesgo sísmico. Financied by MINISTERIO DE ECONOMIA Y COMPETITIVIDAD Programa Estatal de Fomento de la Investigación Científica y Técnica de Excelencia.(2017-2019). Coordinated by UPC . Responsible for Radar activities. Responsible for CTTC.
- POCRISC: proyecto del Programa de Cooperación Territorial INTERREG V-A España-França-Andorra [Fons FEDER POCTEFA EFA158 / 16]. El objetivo del proyecto POCRISC es fomentar una cultura comunitaria de los riesgos sísmicos en los Pirineos. (2019-2021). Coordinated by UPC . Responsible for Radar activities.
- DEMOS:Earth Observation project based on Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) data and Differential Interferometric SAR (DInSAR) techniques. Its general objective is taking full advantage of the monitoring opportunities offered by the ongoing Sentinel-1A and 1B SAR missions. The project includes two main types of DInSAR activities.
He promoted research agreements between CTTC and Universities/Reserach Centers.
He periodically dedicates to lectures/ invited talks and training (last three years)
- Invited talk at the University of Vigo on 14 of January 2020 about the Use of radar in Civil Engineering within the SIRMA project workshop, within action 2 of WP5 in the SIRMA project financed by the Interreg Spain-Portugal program link to subsequent VIGO contract between CTTC- Univ. Vigo.
- Master Course in Environmental Engineering Faculty of Engineering – Università Politecnica delle Marche – Ancona (Italy), two seminars on 12 and 13 December 2019: 1) SAR Interferometry for deformation monitoring: from satellite images to Ground Based systems applied to landslides and glaciers observations. 2) Microwave interferometry: a consolidated technique for estimating the dynamical behavior of civil structures. Also scheduled for December 2020.
- Lecture University di Pavia (Italy) 22 May 2020, 16.00 Virtual room: Radar monitoring natural environment: from landslides to snow
- Erasmus Training program: two lectures University di Pavia (Italy) 4-5 June 2019, on: Introduction to Ground Based Radar Interferometry, a technique for a wide range of applications: from snow monitoring to civil structures. University of Pavia
- Lecture at the field course: Multi-risk assessment of alpine environment – the case study of northern piedmont (NW Italy) in Crodo (VB) from 10th to 13th July 2018 as part of the official didactic program of the PhD in Earth and Environmental Sciences of the University of Pavia.
Training (last 6 years)
- Co-director PhD Jesús Soriano: “Contributions to Ebre Delta bays modelling with Sentinel imagery”. Ongoing.
- Co-director PhD Esteban Esteban Cabrera Vélez (UPC): “Análisis de estructuras de hormigón y mampostería no reforzada: caracterización de la capacidad y daño sísmico”. Ongoing.
- Co-director PhD Niccolò Dematteis (Univ. Pavia). “Network development of integrated remote sensing sensors for monitoring gravitational slope phenomena. PhD Design and Implementation Of Landslide Early Warning Systems. Pursued on 2020
- Co-director PhD Emanuele Intrieri (Univ. Firenze). “Design and Implementation Of Landslide Early Warning Systems. Pursued on 2011
- Co-Director TFM Roger Ferré Tenas, “Active Corner Reflector with Circularly Polarized Array Antennas to be used as a Transponder for Sentinel-1 Satellite (C-band)” Master’s degree in Applied Telecommunications and Engineering Management (MASTEAM) October, 24th 2018
- Co_Director TFG Roger Ferré Tenas: Disseny i fabricació de dues antenes array amb polarització circular (horària i antihorària) 08 de juliol del 2016
- Co Director TFG Andreu Blasco Coll: Development of a radar at 24 GHz for remote sensing applications December, 18th 2014
- Co-director TFG: Giuseppe Piacenza Univerità di Bari (Italy). “Caratterizzazione di Target acquisiti in differenti polarizzazioni tramite Radar Terrestre Ka-Band”. Tesi di laurea in Multidimensional Signal Processing.