Packet Optical Networks and Services (PONS)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgPhone: +34 93 645 29 00
Ramon Casellas (Barcelona, 1975) graduated in Telecommunications Engineering in 1999 both from Technical University of Catalonia (UPC, Barcelona) and from the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Télécommunications (ENST, Paris, now Telecom Paristech) in the framework of the Erasmus student exchange program (double degree, specialization in Communications (UPC) and Networks and Compute Science (ENST). He completed a PhD degree in Telecommunications in 2002, from the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Télécommunications (ENST, Paris) funded by a CTI project with France Telecom Research and Development. He has worked as an undergraduate researcher at France Telecom Research and Development – FT R&D formerly known as Centre Nationale d’Etudes des Télecommunications (Issy les Molineaux, France) and British Telecom Labs (Ipswich, UK).
In 2002, he joined the Networks and Computer Science Department at the ENST as an Associate Professor (Maïtre de Conférences) and, in March 2006, he joined the CTTC Optical Networking Area, where he currently holds a Senior Researcher position. His research interest areas include GMPLS/PCE architecture, Software Defined Networking (SDN), Network Function Virtualization (NFV), Traffic Engineering and Distributed control schemes, with applications to Optical and Disaggregated Transport Networks.
Participation in Projects and Industrial Grants
Participation in over 40 R&D projects funded by the European Commission’s Framework Programmes (H2020, FP7, FP6, CELTIC), including leading work-packages related to control plane and SDN (FP7 ICT IP IDEALIST project, H2020 METRO-HAUL), as well as in the Spanish research programmes (Proyecto I+D, Red Temática, CENIT, PROFIT,..).
Participated and led several research grant projects and technology transfer activities with Industry actors (such as Alcatel, Telefónica, KDDI R&D Labs, KDDI Corporation, Huawei or ZTE).
Developed and Transferred control plane software for optical networks (CTTC Path Computation Element, PCE).
Ms.C and Ph.D. advisor
Supervised 1 Ph.D. thesis (CTTC/UPC, 2012, on the topic on GMPLS provisioning in multi-layer networks), and over 17 Ms.C. / PFC (ENST Paris, France, 1999-2005)
Member of 5 Ph.D. thesis committees (2006-2019).
Dissemination, Scientific Publications and Standardization activities
Co-authored 5 book chapters, over 200 international and peer-reviewed journal and conference papers (including over 70 journals ranked in the first quartile Q1, several OFC and ECOC top-scored papers, invited papers and several tutorials) and 1 patent.
Co-authored 6 and contributed to > 10 Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) Request For Comments (RFCs), in the TEAS, PCE and CCAMP Working Groups and several internet drafts ( https://www.arkko.com/tools/allstats/ramoncasellas.html )
Google Scholar (as of 2020/07) Citations: 4367. h-index 34, i10-index 133,
Research Gate Profile (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ramon_Casellas) RG Score 37.19 ( over 95%)’
Contributor of the Open Networking Foundation (ONF); member of the Open Disaggregated Transport Networks (ODTN) project use case and software working groups.
Open Source software developer (ONOS Open Source SDN Controller).
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-2663-6571
- IEEE Senior Member (SM’2012)
- IEEE Communications Society (ComSoc) member.
- Internet Society Member.
- IEEE ComSoc instructor on the topic of SDN for Optical Networks.
- Optical Society of America (OSA) member (2018).
Reviewer Tasks and editorial boards (Selected)
- Reviewer for IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology (JLT), IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking (JOCN), Elsevier Optical Fiber Technology (OFT), OSA Optics Express (OE), Optical Switching and Networking (OSN), IEEE Communications Magazine (CommMag), IEEE Networks, IEEE Letters.
- Recognized Reviewer for IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology and Journal of Optical Communications and Networking, (2014, 1015)
- Associate Editor of IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking (JOCN)
Roles in Conferences (Selected)
- OSA Optical Fiber Conference (OFC) 2017 N2 Sub-committee “Control and management of multilayer networks”; Organizer,
- Organizer of Open Platform Summit
- Chair of the SDN/NFV Demo Zone
- OFC 2017 Short Course Instructor – Introduction to the Control and Management of Optical Networks.
- OSA Optical Fiber Conference (OFC) 2018 N2 Sub-committee Chair, “Control and management of multilayer networks”
- Organizer, Open Platform Summit
- Chair of the SDN/NFV Demo Zone
- Short Course Instructor – Software Defined Networking for Optical Networks: a Practical Introduction,
- OSA Optical Fiber Conference (OFC) 2019 N3 Sub-committee member, “Architectures and software-defined control for metro and core networks”
- Organizer OFC Demo Zone
- Chair of the panel on “Network Infrastructure Virtualization and Network Slicing”
- Short Course Instructor
- OSA Optical Fiber Conference (OFC) 2020 N3 Sub-committee member, “Architectures and software-defined control for metro and core networks”
- Short Course Instructo
- OSA Optical Fiber Conference (OFC) 2021 Program Chair for the N-Track (N1 – N5 subcommitees),
- IEEE/IFIP Optical Networks Design and Modelling (ONDM) 2018, Technical Program Committee Chair (TPC Chair) Dublin, Ireland
- IEEE/IFIP Optical Networks Design and Modelling (ONDM) 2020, General Chair Castelldefels, Spain.
- International Conference on IP + Optical Network (iPOP) TPC Member (2015-2020)
- IEEE SDN/NFV Technical Programme Committee (TPC) member, including Main Track, Poster Track, Demo Track and MOBISLICE, O4SDI Workshops.
- OECC/PSC2019 Organizer, Symposium: Future technologies for optical transport network support of post 5G mobile service
- Past TPC Member of EUCNC, EWSDN, OPTICS and Globecom.
- Past European Conference on Optical Networks (ECOC) TPC member in Sub-committee 6 (Core, Metro and Data Center Networks)
- Participation in the 5G-PPP Software Networks and Architecture Working Groups.
- External expert for the French National Research Agency (ANR).
- CTTC Internal testbed coordinator (ADRENALINE Testbed).
Other Grants and Mentions
- Erasmus/Sócrates Grant (1997).
- Ph.D Grant (CTI Grant) with France Telecom Research and Development (FT R&D Centre Nationale d’études des Télécoms, CNET, 1999).
- Qualified as “Maïtre de Conférences” (equiv, Associate Professor) (ENST, France, 2002).
- Torres-Quevedo Research Grant (Spanish Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia, 2006-2009).
- Spotlight in Optics for the paper “Highly-available SDN control of Flexi-grid Networks with Network Function Virtualization enabled replication”, Journal of Optical Communications and Networking, 2017
- Light-reading mention OSA OFC2013 paper R. Casellas et al “An Integrated Stateful PCE / OpenFlow controller for the Control and Management of Flexi-Grid Optical Networks”.