Information and signal processing for intelligent communications (ISPIC)
Email: email@example.comPhone: +34 93 645 29 00
Carles Antón-Haro received his PhD degree in Telecommunications Engineering from the Technical University of Catalonia in 1998 (cum-laude). He also holds a Master in Business Administration (MBA) from EADA Business School (2014, Best Final Degree Project Award). In the pursuit of his PhD degree, he was a recipient of scholarship granted by the Dept. of Universities and Research of the Generalitat de Catalunya (1995-1998). As a Research Assistant (1994-1998, UPC) and Research Associate (1998-1999, UPC), he participated in several EC-funded Projects (Tsunami I and II, Sunbeam), as well as in other projects funded by the Spanish government. In 1999, he joined Ericsson Spain, where he participated in two rollout projects of 2G and 3G mobile networks (2000, Regional Coordinator). He was Teaching Assistant (UPC 1994) and Associate Professor (UOC 1998-2012), he has taught R&D Project Management (U. Krakow, U. Gdansk, 2012-2013) and he is a part-time lecturer in selected Business Schools like ESADE or European University (2016-present time) where he teaches/has taught statistics, Python programming for AI, or budgeting & control.
Currently, he is with the CTTC as a Director of European Programs & Industrial Contracts, as well as a Research Director (R4). Main duties, in addition to his daily research activity, include the overall coordination of CTTC’s participation in publicly-funded R&D projects and technology transfer activities, networking activities towards the establishment of strategic alliances and formation of research consortia with the industry and academia, monitoring of R&D funding programs and fund-raising. In the past, he was also in charge of the recruitment of human resources at the CTTC, and he defined the internal processes in relation with CTTC’s project portfolio. Since 2001, he has promoted or coordinated over 80 R&D projects or proposals and has been directly involved in some of them: 6G-AINA (Principal Investigator, PI), SNS-ICE (PI), INTERACT (PÎ), INTENSYV (PI), P2P SmartTest, NEWCOM# (co-Project Leader), EXALTED, eCROPS (PI), ADVANTAGE, WINNER, ACE (PI), to name a few. He is an elected member of the Steering/Governing Board of major industrial associations: 6G Industry Association (formerly known as 5G-IA, 2020-present time) where he also chairs the Working Group on 5G Trials; NetworldEurope European Technology Platform (formerly known as Netwold2020 and Net!works, 2009-2014, 2020-present time). He is member of the core editorial team in charge of elaborating SNS Joint Undertaking’s (SNS-JU) R&I Workprogramme (2021-2022, 2023-2024, 510 M€ funding). He was a Steering Board Member of the 5G Barcelona Association (2017-2019).
Carles holds an Advanced Research Accreditation from the Catalan Agency for the Quality of the University System (AQU). His research interests are in the field of signal processing for communications, this including machine/deep learning for 6G radio interface design, multi-user MIMO systems, networked control systems, energy harvesting, wireless sensor networks and M2M, opportunistic communications, link layer protocols (MAC, H-ARQ); and estimation theory with emphasis in state estimation for Smart Electricity Grids. His research work has resulted into a number of on-going/past R&D projects. He has published +140 technical papers in IEEE journals, books/book chapters and in international/national conferences. He is a recipient of 2 Best Paper Awards: IEEE Int’l Conference on Communications 2015 – Transmission, Access, and Optical Systems Technical Committee’s; and IEEE GlobalSIP 2016. He has supervised 6 PhD Theses (one in progress), as well as a number of Master Theses and post-docs. His former PhD students hold research positions in renowned institutions such as the Massachussets Institute of Technology (MIT), the Greek Independent Power Transmission Operator (IPTO), U. Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), or Caixabank.
He is an appointed member of the Int’l. Scientific Advisory Board of the Internet Interdisciplinary Institute (IN3, Open University of Catalonia, 2017-present time). He has also acted as a reviewer of project proposals or research centers for several (inter)national funding agencies (e.g., AEI, ANEP, AGAUR, MIUR, ANR, ANVUR, Xunta de Galicia) and takes part in PhD Evaluation Committees on a regular basis. He maintains/has maintained scientific collaborations with selected R&D groups in Europe and overseas (U. Pennsylvania, U. Bologna, Politecnico di Milano, U. Edinburgh, INSA Lyon, King Abdullah U., etc.). He recurrently participates in outreach activities (Catalan Science Week, Euro-science Open Forum), delivering talks and writing dissemination articles. He also coordinates CTTC’s involvement as an exhibitor in major industrial trade-fairs such as the Mobile World Congress (2017-present time).
He is an Associate Editor to EURASIP’s Journal on Wireless Communications and Networks (JWCN). He has also collaborated as Guest Associate Editor to Wiley’s Emerging Telecommunication Technologies (ETT) and EURASIP’s Signal Processing Journal. He is also a reviewer of selected IEEE journals. In recent years, he has also been very actively involved in the organization of major conferences and workshops such as the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference 2018 (General Chair), European Wireless Conference 2014 (General Chair), IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (2013 Spring, Track Co-chair), European Signal Processing Conference 2011 (General Vice-chair), IEEE Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications 2008 (Track Chair), and IRACON’s Training School on Machine/Deep Learning for beyond 5G networks (Co-chair, 2019). He is an appointed member of the Steering Board of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC, 2019-2021), and an Industry Liaison Officer of IEEE’s Emerging Technologies Initiative on Machine Learning for Communications.
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-5961-7692
- PhD. degree in Telecommunications (Cum-laude), “Probabilistic Algorithms for Blind Channel Estimation and Data Detection”, Universitat Poltècnica de Catalunya (UPC), June 1998.
- Engineering degree in Telecommunications (With honours), “Implementación en Tiempo Real del Codificador de Voz Multipulso descrito en la recomendación GSM 6.10”, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), May 1994.
- Master in Business Administration (MBA), EADA Business School (Barcelona), June 2014. Final Degree Project: “Simple Supercomputing Access (start-up)” (Best Executive MBA Degree Project Class of 2012/13 and 2013/14).
- Advanced Research Accreditation. Catalan Agency for the Quality of the University System (AQU). Nov. 2022.
Representative in Int’l Committees and Interest Groups:
- 5G Barcelona Association, Steering Board member, 2018-present time.
- Networld2020, H2020 Technology Platform, Steering Board member, Elected for term: 2013-2014.
- Net!works, FP7 Technology Platform, Steering Board member, Elected for terms: 2009-2011, 2011-2013.
- NEWCOM# (Network of Excellence on Wireless Communications), Executive Board Member, 2012-2015.
- NEWCOM++ (Network of Excellence on Wireless Communications), Executive Board Member, 2009-2010.
- es.internet – Spanish Technology Plataforma on Future Internet, AETIC (Spanish Association of Electronics, InformationTechnology and Telecommunications Industries), Management Committee Member, July 2008-2012
- Net!works, FP7 Technology Platform, Expert Group member, 2005 onwards.
- Wireless World Research Forum, CTTC Representative, 2002 onwards.
- Best Paper Award: For the paper entitled “Sensor Selection in Energy Harvesting Wireless Sensor Networks” in Proc. IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing conference (GLOBALSIP’15), by Calvo, Matamoros, and Antón-Haro.
- Best Paper Award: Transmission, Access, and Optical Systems (TAOS) Technical Committee’s Award for Best Paper in the Green Communications Track of the Symposium on Selected Areas in Communications (SAC) for the paper entitled “On the Impact of Correlated Sampling Processes in WSNs with Energy-neutral Operation” published at the IEEE International Communications Conference (ICC 2015) by Matamoros, Calvo, and Antón-Haro.
- Best Executive MBA Degree Project Class of 2012/13 and 2013/14: “SSUCA: Simple Supercomputing Access, a business plan for a start-up”. Granted by EADA Business School. September 2014.
Editorial Activities in Journals
- Assoc. Editor EURASIP Journal of Wireless Communications and Networks (JWCN), Hindawi (2008 onwards).
- Assoc. Editor Journal of Networks, Academy Publisher (2006 -2015).
- Guest Associate Editor: EURASIP Journal of Wireless Communications and Networks (JWCN), Hindawi, 2010.
- Guest Associate Editor: Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies (ETT), Wiley, 2013.
- Guest Associate Editor: European Transactions on Signal Processing, Wiley, 2006, 2005.
- Guest Associate Editor: Signal Processing Journal – Elsevier, 2006.
Conference Organization (General Chair or TPC/Track Chair roles)
- IRACON’s Training School on Machine/Deep Learning for beyond 5G networks (2019, General Co-chair).
- IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (2018, General Chair).
- Joint NEWCOM# Cost Workshop (2015, General co-chair).
- IEEE European Wireless Conference (2014, General Chair).
- IEEE European Wireless Conference (2013, TPC co-chair).
- IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (2013 Spring, Track Co-chair).
- Int’l Workshop on Machine-to-Machine Communications (co-located with Globecom’11, co-chair).
- N++ Emerging Topic Workshop on Smart Grids (2011, General Co-chair).
- European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO’11, General Vice-Chair).
- Future Network and Mobile Summit (2010, Track Vice-chair).
- Int’l Workshop on Cross-layer Designs (IEEE/EURASIP-IWLCD’09 – General Co-chair).
- IEEE Personal Indoor Mobile and Radio Communications (PIMRC’2008, Track Chair).
Project Proposal Reviewer for Funding Agencies.
- Spanish Agency for Research (AEI). Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (2019).
- Research Foundation of Flanders (FWO). 2018.
- Italian National Agency for the Assessment of University System and Research (ANVUR) (2016, 2017).
- COST (European Cooperation in Science and Technology) Association. EU Framework Programme Horizon 2020 (2016, 2017).
- Spanish Agency for Evaluation and Prospective, ANEP. Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (2016, 2015, 2014).
- French National Research Agency, ANR (2015).
- Italian Ministry for Universities and Research, MIUR (2015,2012).
- Agència per a la Gestió d’Ajuts Universitaris, AGAUR. Generalitat de Catalunya (2014, 2012, 2011, 2008).
- Spanish Agency for Evaluation and Prospective, ANEP. Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation (2012, 2011, 2007).
- Research Promotion Foundation of Cyprus, RFP (2011, 2010).
- Network of Excellence on Wireless Communications++, NEWCOM++ (2010)
- eMOV Technology Platform (2007, 2006)
- Antenna Center of Excellence, ACE (2006, 2005).
Advisory Boards – Membership
- International Scientific Advisory Board of the Internet Interdisciplinary Institute (IN3). Open University of Catalonia (UOC). 2017 (appointment)-present time.
PhD Thesis Supervision
- Decentralized State Estimation in Electricity Distribution Networks, Achilleas Tsitsimellis, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), November 2014, On-going.
- Energy Harvesting Techniques for Spatial Field Estimation with Wireless Sensor Networks, Miguel Calvo, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), July 2017, Cum-Laude.
- Collaborative Beamforming Schemes for Wireless Sensor Networks with Energy Harvesting Capabilities, Lazar Berbakov, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), July 2013, Cum Laude.
- Decentralized Parameter and Random Field Estimation with Wireless Sensor Networks, Javier Matamoros, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), June 2011.
- Antenna Selection Techniques in Single- and Multi-user Systems: A Cross-layer Approach, José Lopez-Vicario, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Sept. 2006 – Cum Laude. Special Prize of the Doctorate Program (Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya)
Participation in PhD Thesis Evaluation Boards
- Ultra Narrow Band based IoT networks, Yuqi Mo (Advisor: Jean-Marie Gorce), CITI Lab, INSA Lyon, Sept 2018.
- Machine-learning algorithms for Weather Monitoring based on Wireless Distributed Communication Networks, Iván Guerra Moreno (Advisors: Juan Luís Navarro, Iván Pérez), Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Depto. de Señales y Comunicaciones, September 2017.
- Stochastic Schemes for Dynamic Network Resource Allocation, Luís Miguel López Ramos (Advisors: Antonio García Marqués, Javier Ramos), Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (URJC), October 2016.
- Implementation and Performance Evaluation of Network Coding Strategies on Commercial Wireless Devices, Achuthan Paramanathan (Advisor: Frank Fitzek), Aalborg University (AAU), December 2014.
- Feedback of Channel State Information in Multi-antenna Systems based on Quantization of Channel Gramm Matrices, Daniel Sacristán (Advisor: Toni Pascual), Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya (CTTC), July 2012.
- Distributed Sampling and Reconstruction of Non-bandlimited Fields in Sensor Networks Based on Shift-invariant Spaces, Günter Reise (Advisor: Gerald Matz), Technische Universität Wien, Institute of Telecommunications, September 2011.
- Algorithms for Source Identification, Localization and Tracking in Scenarios with Centralized and Distributed Arrays (Original title in Spanish), Eduardo Hernández Pérez (Advisor: Juan Luis Navarro Mesa), Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Depto. de Señales y Comunicaciones, May 2010.
- Novel Monte Carlo-based methods for Signal Demodulation in Systems with Diversity (Original title in Spanish), Manuel A. Vázquez López (Advisor: Joaquín Míguez), Universidade da Coruña, Dept. of Electronics and Systems, Dec. 2008.
- Distributed Resource Allocation Techniques for Interference-Limited Cellular Networks, Saad Kiani (Advisor: David Gesbert), EURECOM Institute, Mobile Communications Dept., Feb. 2008.
- Design of an RF front-end for Mobile TV Applications according to the DVB-H Standard, Unai Alvarado (Advisor: Guillermo Bistué), Universidad de Navarra, Escuela Superior de Ingenieros, Dic. 2007.
- Contribution to the characterization and evaluation of multiple antenna systems for communications: prototyping, propagation and antenna perspective, Laura García (Advisor: Leandro de Haro), Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM), Dept. of Signals, Systems and Radiocommunications (SSR), Dic. 2007.
- Multi-beam Opportunistic Downlink Beamforming in Multi-antenna and Multi-user Wireless Communication Systems, Nizar Zorba (Advisor: A. Perez-Neira), Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Dic. 2007.
- Radio link control for improving theQoS of wireless packet transmissions, Emilio Calvanese Strianati (Advisor: J. Boutros), Ecole Nationale Superiore de Telecommunications de Paris (ENST), COMELEC Dept., Dic. 2005.
- Subspace- and Group Theory-based Algorithms for Multi-user detection in UMTS systems (Original Title in Spanish), Antonio Caamaño Fernández (Advisor: J. Ramos), Univ. Carlos III de Madrid (UCIIIM), Julio 2004.
- Space processing and channel estimation: performance analysis and asymptotic results, Xavier Mestre (Advisor: J. Fonollosa), Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Dic. 2002.
Invited lectures and short courses
- Machine- and Deep-Learning Techniques for Beam Selection in Hybrid Analog Beamforming Architectures. INSA-Lyon, Invited talk, September 2018.
- Scientific Resumes and Job Interviews – How to make (a positive) impact, IEEE Int’l Conference for Internet Technology and Secure Transactions, Barcelona (Spain). Keynote Speech (IEEE Professional Activities Talk Series), Dec. 2016.
- Advanced modulation and random access techniques for 5G communication systems. European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) Workshop ‘From Research to Standardization’. Sophia-Antipolis (Nice, France), May 2016.
- ESR career tips: High-impact Scientific Resumes and Job Interviews. ADVANTAGE Training School,University of Novi Sad (Serbia), April 2016.
- Energy Harvesting and Distributed Signal Processing Techniques for Information Processing in WSNs (Invited Talk). First BioSense Scientific Workshop, University of Novi Sad (Serbia), Feb. 2015.
- Networld2020 European Technology Platform – An Overview (Invited Talk). Workshop on Components, Computing Systems and Networks. PICTURE project (Policy dialogue in ICT to an Upper level for Reinforced EU-EECA Cooperation). Minsk (Belarus). May 2014.
- 5G-PPP in H2020: Designing Advanced Network Infrastructure for the next decade (Invited Talk). Atllantic Information and Communications Technologies Event (AtlaNTIC 2014), Santander, April 2014.
- Net!works European Technology Platform (Invited Talk). Workshop on Components, Computing Systems and Networks. PICTURE project (Policy dialogue in ICT to an Upper level for Reinforced EU-EECA Cooperation). Yerevan (Armenia). November 2013.
- Parameter and Spatial Field Estimation with Wireless Sensor and M2M Capillary Networks – A Signal Processing Perspective (Lecturer). EXALTED/SenZations Training School (Mecavnik, Serbia). September 2012.
- Workshops with Coordinators of Research Projects: Lessons learnt, tools and case studies. Polytechnic University of Wroclaw. May 2012, October 2012.
- Workshops with Coordinators of Research Projects: Lessons learnt, tools and case studies. Lodz University of Economics. April 2012, Dec. 2012.
- Estimation of Spatial Fields with Wireless Sensor Networks (Invited Lecturer). Telecom Forum. FTW/TU Wien. September 2011.
- Workshops with Coordinators of Research Projects: Lessons learnt, tools and case studies. Gdansk University of Technology. May 2011, May 2012.
- Workshops with Coordinators of Research Projects: Lessons learnt, tools and case studies. Krakow University of Economics. May 2011., April 2012.
- Decentralized Parameter and Random Field Estimation with Wireless Sensor Networks: where Signal Processing and Information Theory Meet (Lecturer). CONET/COST2100/NEWCOM++ Training School (Bologna, Italy). May 2010.
- Delay-constrained vs. Delay-tolerant Estimation of Random Fields (Lecturer). CONET/COST2100/NEWCOM++ Workshop (Bologna, Italy). May 2010.
- CTTC: A Gateway to Advanced Communication Technologies (Invited Speaker).Qualcomm Research Center (San Diego, CA). Nov. 2009.
- Decentralized parameter estimation with Wireless Sensor Networks – A signal processing perspective (Invited Speaker). Telefonica I+D (Madrid, Spain). Oct. 2008
- Decentralized parameter estimation with Wireless Sensor Networks (Lecturer). IST-NEWCOM++ Summer School (Bressanone, Italy). July 2008.
- Cross-layer Scheduling in Multi-user MIMO Systems – IST-ACE European School of Antennas (Invited lecturer). Royal Institute of Technology (KTH, Stockholm). Aug. 2007.
- Opportunistic scheduling in Multi-Antenna/Multi-User communication systems (co-author of invited lecture). IST Mobile Summit – ACE Workshop (Mykonos, Grecia). June 2006.
- MIMO Communication Systems and Antennas – IST-ACE European School of Antennas (Invited lecturer). Royal Institute of Technology (KTH, Stockholm). Sept. 2005.
- Array Signal Processing For Next Generation Wireless Communications – An FP6 Perspective. University of Jinan (China). Febr. 2004.
- Cross-layer Designs for Transmit Antenna Selection In MIMO Systems. University of Jinan (China). Febr. 2004. A module on Signal Processing (Master in Telematic Networks). Institut Català de Tecnologia (ICT). 1998.
- “Smart and Efficient Electricity Grids – The Role of Telecommunication Systems “, Talk at the Official Association of Telecommunications Engineers of Catalonia (COETC), March 2017.
- “Smart Electricity Grids and Telecommunications: the Quest for Energy Efficiency”, Talk at the Barcelona Science Festival, June 2016.
- “Smart Electricity Grids: needs, challenges and the role of communication technologies,” Talk at the Senior UPC Association (AEU-EPSC), May 2012.
- “Telecommunications: the Long Road to Present Time and Future Challenges,” Talk at the Senior UPC Association (AEU-EPSC), March 2010.
- “Future Challenges in Research and Technology Transfer in Telecommunications,” Talk at the Civil Engineers Association (EIC), January 2010.
- “Making life easier: what next generation communication systems can do for you,” Talk at Euroscience Open Forum 2008 (ESOF), July 2008.
- C. Antón-Haro, The role of ICT in the fight against climate change, Telecos Magazine, Dec. 2007.
- “Telecommunications and climate change. Some ideas for reduced CO2 emissions.” Talk at the Catalan Science Week, Nov. 2007.
- “Communications, a need. Communication in the distance, a challenge.” Talk at the Catalan Science Week, November 2006.
Appearances in public radio and TV programs:
- “CTTC leads a number of advanced projects and activities on 5G communications and beyond”, Radio interview at Radio Castelldefels (Program: ‘Així Som’), Feb. 2018.
- “Advanced R&D activities at the CTTC: 5G communication systems, IoT, satellite-based navigation and modem design. Parts I and II”, dedicated documentary in Blau TV, (Program: i-Enginy), July 2017 and April 2018.
- “Selected R&D activities at the CTTC: low-latency communications, low-cost and high-precision positioning systems”, radio interview in Ràdio 4, (Program: The Club of Inquiring Minds), March 2017.
- “Research in 5G communication networks”, appearance in Barcelona Televisió (Program: Daily News), Feb. 2017.
- “Research in 5G and modems for deep-space communications”, radio interview at Catalunya Radio (Program: Daily News), Feb. 2017.
- “CTTC participates in the Mobile World Congress as an exhibitor”, Radio interview at Radio Castelldefels (Program: ‘Així Som’), Feb. 2017.
- “The ADVANTAGE project: designing future smart electricity grids,” appearance in documentary at N1 Serbia TV station (a CNN affiliate), May 2016.
- “CTTC is granted a contract from the European Space Agency,” radio interview at COM-Radio, Radio Castelldefels, (Program: La Polpa), Feb. 2007.
- “How a mobile phone works,” radio interview at Catalunya Ràdio, Nov. 2006
Scientific Societies Membership
- European Association for Communications and Networking (EURACON).Founding Member and Steering Board Member. 2011-present time. Rest of founding members: S. Benedetto (Politecnico di Torino), P. Duhamel (SUPELEC), M. Luise (U. Pisa), R. Verdone (U. Bologna).
- Institute of Electric and Electronic Engineers (IEEE). Senior Member No.: M3548526. (2003-present time). IEEE member since 1993.