Space and Resilient Communications and Systems (SRCOM)
Email: email@example.comPhone: +34 93 645 29 00
Mr. Xavier Artiga obtained his “Ingeniero Superior” degree (equivalent to M.Sc.) in Telecommunications Engineering at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC) in July 2006. He joined CTTC in September 2007 as a Researcher. Prior this, he worked as a Management Analyst at Bearingpoint Consultants (November 2006- August 2007) and in 2002, he did an undergraduate training at Nokia Spain.
At CTTC, he has played the role of assisting the coordination of research consortiums in European and National funded projects such as H2020-SANSA and ELISA (TEC2014-59255-C3-1-R); as well of technical contributor in the field of antenna design in these and other European and National funded projects like FP7-BuNGee or TERESA (TEC2017-90093-C3-1-R). Besides, he has also technically contributed to several industrial contracts, including ESA projects like SATNEX IV (Work Item 4.5), and managed some of them like POLAR series projects. He was also largely involved in the in the development of the CTTC strategic ultrawideband Testbed ULAND. In the last years, he has developed strong skills for European proposal coordination and elaboration which translated in the co-coordination of at least one proposal each of the last 3 years. He is co-author of more than 20 scientific publications.
His current research interests include reflectarray and metasurface antennas, reconfigurable antennas and multiantenna and Massive MIMO systems for terrestrial and satellite systems. He is a regular reviewer of IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation and IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters.
ORDCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9222-165X
Participation in 3 European projects (assuming large a set of coordination responsibilities in 1 of them, 3 National (Spanish) projects (assuming a large set of coordination responsibilities in 1 of them, 1 ESA contract (as a leader), 8 industrial contract (leading 6 of them), and 1 internal testbed (ending as a testbed responsible).
– Proposal leader
– Consortium coordination responsibilities such as: monitoring technical progress, risk analysis, solution of conflicts, crosscheck between technical progress and budget consumption, main author and editor of all progress reports (including mid-project and final report) and a technical Amendment sent to the CE, preparation and attendance to F2F meetings with and active role on technical coordination, coordination od the preparation of project reviews and attendance to reviews as Project Coordinator support, attendance to invited events for project dissemination like 5G architecture workshop or RUS cluster session, etc.
– Technical contributions corresponding to a simplified method for controlling reflectarray antennas based on a row-column control; multi-beam and nulling reflectarray and metasurface antennas; and array architectures for hybrid analog-digital beamforming.
GASP (FET flagship pilot project-2011):
– Technical contributor in the field of antenna design for wearable sensors
– Technical contributions relative to the study of Massive MIMO array configurations and their simulation methods.
SENSORQ (Coincidente 2018)
– Technical contributions relative to integrated GPS-LORA steerable antenna design
TERESA (RETOS I+D 2017)
– Technical contributions relative to solutions for complexity reduction in steerable metasurface antennas, impact of channel phase contributions in multicast precoding in satellite systems, extension of CASTLE® to mm-wave (array design and search of commercial front end components).
ELISA (RETOS I+D 2014)
– Proposal co-leader
– Consortium coordination responsibilities such as coordinator, main author and editor of the mid-project and final project reports, as well as of the application for a project extension.
– Technical contributions in the fields of array topologies for Massive MIMO, and design of reflectarray and metasurface antennas.
WORK ITEM 4.5 in SATNEX IV (Large scale multi-antenna systems over satellite)
– Proposal and study leader
– Technical contribution relative to the study of Massive MIMO over satellite and its comparison to multibeam precoding.
– One week stay at ESA-ESTEC
CONFIDENTIAL CONTRACT WITH AN RFID SYSTEM SUPPLIER
– Proposal and project leader
– Technical contributions in the design of antennas for RFID readers
CONFIDENTAL CONTRACT WITH A LEO SATELLITE MANUFACTURER
– Proposal and project Task leader
– Technical contribution relative to a feasibility study for LEO satellite antennas
POLAR SERIES (1-2-3) (Thales Alenia Space, France)
– Proposal and project leader in POLAR2 and 3 and project leader at the last stages of POLAR1
– Technical contributions relative to de automatic design of reflectarray elements for reducing the crosspolarization.
– Project leader in the last stages
– Technical contribution relative to the study of electromagnetic compatibility problems in parking meters.
– Proposal and project leader
– Technical contribution to a feasibility study of a communication system for an energy supply kit.
WISER MONITOUR LITE (CIDTUR)
– Technical contributions relative to benchmarking of commercial WSN nodes, and development of UVI and motion alarm sensors.
ULAND (Ultrawideband demonstrator)
– Progressive role from contributor to RF stages to testbed responsible
– Technical contributions relative to design and implementation of RF and AGC stages, debugging and measurement campaign, design of Kalman filters for improving accuracy, etc.
– Leader/co-leader in 3 European proposals at Consortium level (S3MUST H2020-ICT20-2019, CERSEI H2020-SPACE-2018, SANSA H2020-ICT6-2014), in 1 National proposal (ELISA RETOS 2014) , in 1 ESA contract ( SATNEX IV WI 4.5), and in 8 industrial offers (2 for a confidential RFID system supplier, 1 for a LEO satellite manufacturer, HISPASAT-LPA, POLAR2-3(Thales Alenia Space, France), PRE-ENLOG, M2MIMO (HIRP open).
– Co-technical manager role in QITOSA (H2020-SPACE-2020)
– Internal CTTC leader in MUST (H2020 ICT-09-2017)
– Technical contributions relative to the definition of tasks and the identification of SOA/BSOA in many proposals such as FREEBIE (H2020-ICT52-2020), MARTIAN (H2020-ICT52-2020), LAYERS (H2020-SPACE-2020), 5GULC (H2020 ICT-07-2017), TERESA (RETOS 2017), C3D (Leonardo BBVA), 5GBeamforming (HIRP open), etc.
– Author/co-author of 5 journals, 22 international conferences, 1 national conference and 1 book chapter.
– 199 citations
– h index: 8
– i10 index: 7
– X. Artiga, A. I. Pérez-Neira, “ Rellevance of MIMO”, Workshop at the 38th European Microwave Conference, Madrid, 2018
– A. Dowhuszko, M. Shaat, X. Artiga, and A. Pérez-Neira, “Access technologies integration to meet 5G and beyond requirements”, Visions for Future Communications Summit (VFCS), 2017
– Miguel Ángel Vázquez, Xavier Artiga, José Núñez, “Key Components for a hybrid backhaul system”, Networld2020 Annual Event and General Assembly 2016, Brussels-19/04/2016
– Xavier Artiga, José Núñez, “The SANSA network concept”, 5G PPP – 1st 5G Architecture Workshop, Brussels 06/04/2016
– Xavier Artiga, “Shared Access Terrestrial-Satellite Backhaul Network enabled by Smart Antennas”, Radio Access and Spectrum (RAS) Cluster Session, Brussels-01/03/2016
– ISWCS 2014 (Publicity chair)
PARTICIPATION IN R&D FORUMS
– 5GPPP working group on spectrum