Who are we looking for?
The OpenSim unit is looking for interested candidates in a permanent R2-Researcher position. The researcher will be involved in the projects and research lines of the OpenSim unit, which include RAN models, algorithms and architectures’ implementation in ns-3 5G-LENA, resource management and self-organized solutions for open RAN, 3GPP/IEEE coexistence frameworks and spectrum sharing, digital twinning and open data repositories.
For more information about the Research Unit please refer to https://www.cttc.cat/open-simulations-opensim/
What do we offer?
- We offer a permanent contract
- Annual gross salary according to the profile of the candidate
- Full-time contract: 7,5 h/day. Flexibility
- Expected professional category: R2 . Exceptional candidates may be considered even if they do not meet all the requirements. In this case the professional category will be based on the qualifications and experience of the applicant according with CTTC professional categories procedure (https://www.cttc.cat/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/CTTC-Professional-categories.pdf ).
- Tenure track: Career progression
- Prospect start date: flexible around October – November 2023
- Continuous training, access to lab facilities, state of the art infrastructure and polyvalent working spaces, participation in scientific events and R&D projects, complementary skills development.
We have great benefits for employees:
- Paid time off: vacation (33 working days per year), holidays, sick and parental leave and more
- Up to 3 days of Telework per week (2 fixed + 1 upon request). Other requests may be studied to accommodate special needs.
- Flexible working hours for work-life balance
- Tax-free optional benefits: restaurant ticket, nursery ticket, transport pass, private health insurance for employees and family.
- Career path promotion (either professional category and/or annual gross salary)
- Annual productivity upon performance
- Possibility to complement the salary with personal grants
Qualifications and Experience
We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic, energetic person, aiming at significantly improving his or her career perspectives in both public and private sectors. The successful applicant should have the competencies of R2 category.
- PhD degree or more tan 5 years in research (after MS) that certify a similar level of experience, competences and relevance (at the moment of incorporation)
- Good publication track record, being first author of publications in one or more areas of the OpenSim research lines.
- Carry out assigned tasks in the context of R&D projects or competitive grants in an autonomous manner. Participation in the preparation of proposals and/or execution of research projects, leading tasks.
- Proven establishment of cooperation and collaboration with external entities in R&D projects, collaborations and competitive funds.
- Proven experience in identifying research problems and opportunities in the areas of research aligned with the OpenSim research unit’s lines (spectrum management, RAN simulation modelling, ns-3 simulator, vehicular communications, radio resource management, QoS management, AIML, Open RAN, 3GPP/IEEE coexistence, XR, industry 4.0)
- Excellent knowledge of the technological needs of the industrial sector.
- Excellent knowledge of 3GPP 5G and beyond 5G technologies, as well as IEEE technologies.
- Experience in open source network simulators, ns-3 or another, with participation in open source communities, community events, and executing projects using open source network simulator.
- Knowledge about design and development of completely new 3GPP wireless modules or new features of ns-3 or another network simulator. Experience in the full-stack 4G or 5G development (PHY, MAC, RLC, PDCP, RRC, NAS, EPC).
- Good programming skills in C++ and GitLab. Experience in the development and usage of databases to perform simulation campaigns and post-process data.
Other skills that are valuable, but not mandatory are:
- Knowledge of wireless communications and disaggregated network architectures such as O-RAN is a plus.
- Knowledge of the most recent advances in the area of AIML applied to communications is a plus.
- Previous experience/knowledge on modelling or simulating digital twins, security aspects in V2X/drone communications, O-RAN solutions, 3GPP technologies for vehicular communications and/or industry 4.0 scenarios, NTN communications, and/or IEEE/3GPP coexistence is a plus.
- Experience with 3GPP/IEEE standardization process and demonstrated capacity for generating ideas in fields standardized by 3GPP/IEEE is a plus.
- Maintenance level of ns-3 modules or demonstrated experience in solving bugs and contributing their solutions to ns-3 or another open-source simulator is a plus.
- Knowledge of 5G-LENA module and 5G-LENA system-level simulation is a plus.
Even if you do not meet all the requirements, we encourage you to apply.
The candidates’ past performance but also future potential will be considered as criteria for selecting researchers.
How to apply?
All applications must include:
- A complete CV, including a list of publications and the contact details of two potential referees
- PhD degree or more tan 5 years in research (after MS) that certify a similar level of experience, competences and relevance
- Cover letter stating the motivation and suitability of the candidate.
The application documents must be submitted in pdf format through this online application.
*ONLY APPLICATIONS VIA WEB https://www.cttc.cat/talent/careers/job-openings/ WILL BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION.*
CVs and any other information gathered during this process will be handled confidentially
Convocatòria corresponent a l’oferta d’ocupació pública per a l’exercici 2021 (taxa de reposició) publicada al DOGC número 8543 de 15.11.202. En compliment de la Llei general dels drets de les persones amb discapacitat i la seva inclusió social, s’acorda reservar una plaça en primera ronda per ser coberta entre persones amb un grau de discapacitat igual o superior al 30%.
Who are we?
- The Center Tecnològic de Telecomunicaciones de Catalunya (CTTC) is a non-profit public sector research institution dedicated to fundamental and applied research activities, focused mainly on technologies related to the physical, data link and network layers of communication systems and Geomatics.
- CTTC received the “HR Excellence in Research” award in 2015 from the European Commission and successfully passed into the Award Renewal phase in 2023. This is a recognition of the Institute’s commitment to develop a Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R), designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code). Our institution’s comprehensive analysis and HRS4R action plan meet all the requirements of progress and quality of our HR policies. CTTC promotes itself as a provider of a stimulating and favourable work environment for researchers.
- The CTTC is located in the beautiful Mediterranean Technological Park of Castelldefels, a science park that houses the Polytechnic University of Catalonia, research institutions, innovative companies and startups. The PMT-UPC is located 10 minutes’ walk from the beach and the city center of Castelldefels, also close to childcare centers, public schools and the best international schools. It can be reached by car, train (RENFE) and various bus lines.
- We have 2 buildings on campus, with state-of-the-art facilities, comfortable work spaces, meeting rooms, and multipurpose spaces, as well as social spaces.
- The institute has a multicultural environment with more than 130 members (scientific, technical and administrative staff) from all over the world.
CTTC offers and promotes a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
The CTTC seeks to increase the presence of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages them to stand as candidates.
It is also committed to increasing the number of people with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages their applications.