Who are we looking for?
The Space and Resilient Communications and Systems research unit (https://www.cttc.cat/space-and-resilient-communications-and-networks-srcom/) is looking for a software developer. If interested, you will work in a Horizon Europe public-funded highly competitive research project. The objective of the project is to define an integrated terrestrial-satellite network building on 5G/6G-compliant non-terrestrial networks space systems. You will have the opportunity to participate in a project jointly with industrial partners that will lead the path towards the future of satellite communications and will collaborate to enhance current communication standards to push to new barriers.
You will be a part of a team that is developing the radio technologies that are necessary to the integrate the satellite ecosystem into commercial terrestrial networks. You will help to define and standardize the new technologies that will embrace the seamless integration of satellites and mobile phones. The new functionalities will be validated in specific proof-of-concepts with real satellite and mobile infrastructures.
The activities to be carried out include:
- Understand the existing standardized protocol stacks
- Develop new technologies based on software defined radio
- Customize software defined radio modules to support the new functionalities developed in the project
- Deploy testbeds to verify the developments
- Participate in the proof-of-concept planning, integration, validation and demonstration
What do we offer?
- We offer an indefinite contract of scientific technical activities
- Full-time contract: 7,5 h/day. Flexibility
- Expected professional category: R1. Exceptional candidates may be considered even if they do not meet all the requirements. In this case the professional category will be based on the qualifications and experience of the applicant according with CTTC professional categories procedure(https://www.cttc.cat/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/CTTC-Professional-categories.pdf).
- Tenure track: Career progression
- Prospect start date: as soon as possible
- Continuous training, access to lab facilities, state of the art infrastructure and polyvalent working spaces, participation in scientific events and R&D projects, complementary skills development
- Possibility to enroll in a Phd Program (Phd fees paid by CTTC)
- Being part of a consolidated team, with healthy synergies with other teams and disciplines
- Training: learning of current and future non-terrestrial networks trends and how satellite and terrestrial networks (5G/6G) are architected, from the physical perspective to core network functionalities, from theory to practice
- Optionally and in case you are already (or plan to be) enrolled in a master, write a final Master Thesis with all your work done. We can advise and mentor you in this process
- A highly valuable opportunity to gain experience and skills to know how satellite and 5G telephony work
- We have great benefits for employees:
- Paid time off: vacation (33 working days per year), holidays, sick and parental leave and more
- Up to 3 days of Telework per week (2 fixed + 1 upon request). Other requests may be studied to accommodate special needs.
- Flexible working hours for work-life balance
- Tax-free optional benefits: restaurant ticket, nursery ticket, transport pass, private health insurance for employees and family.
- Career path promotion (either professional category and/or annual gross salary)
- Annual productivity upon performance
- Possibility to complement the salary with personal grants
Qualifications and Experience
- We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic, energetic person, aiming at significantly improving his or her career perspectives in both public and private sectors. The successful applicant should have the competences of R1 category.
- Required qualification/skills/ experience:
– BSc degree in Telecommunications, Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, or closely related fields.
-Programming skills in C/C++ and Python.
–Good knowledge of written and spoken English (at least B2).
- Other skills that are valuable, but not mandatory are:
–MSc degree in Telecommunications, Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, or closely related fields.
–Knowledge of cellular mobile communication systems.
–Knowledge of 3GPP technologies.
-Experience using lab equipment for testing and validation.
–Experience in hands-on software defined radio systems.
-Participation in public-funded or industrial research projects.
Even if you do not meet all the requirements, we encourage you to apply.
The candidates’ past performance but also future potential will be considered as criteria for selecting researchers.
How to apply?
All applications must include:
- A complete CV and the contact details of two potential referees
- BSc or Ms degree.
- Cover letter stating the motivation and suitability of the candidate.
The application documents must be submitted in pdf format through this online application.
*ONLY APPLICATIONS VIA WEB https://www.cttc.cat/talent/careers/job-openings/ WILL BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION.*
CVs and any other information gathered during this process will be handled confidentially
Who are we?
- The Center Tecnològic de Telecomunicaciones de Catalunya (CTTC) is a non-profit public sector research institution dedicated to fundamental and applied research activities, focused mainly on technologies related to the physical, data link and network layers of communication systems and Geomatics.
- CTTC received the “HR Excellence in Research” award in 2015 from the European Commission. This is a recognition of the Institute’s commitment to develop a Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R), designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code).
- The CTTC is located in the beautiful Mediterranean Technological Park of Castelldefels, a science park that houses the Polytechnic University of Catalonia, research institutions, innovative companies and startups. The PMT-UPC is located 10 minutes’ walk from the beach and the city center of Castelldefels, also close to childcare centers, public schools and the best international schools. It can be reached by car, train (RENFE) and various bus lines.
- We have 2 buildings on campus, with state-of-the-art facilities, comfortable work spaces, meeting rooms, and multipurpose spaces, as well as social spaces.
- The institute has a multicultural environment with more than 130 members (scientific, technical and administrative staff) from all over the world.
CTTC offers and promotes a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
The CTTC seeks to increase the presence of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages them to stand as candidates.
It is also committed to increasing the number of people with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages their applications.