Who are we looking for ?
We are looking for candidates interested in pursuing a PhD under the funding of an official grant agency. To that effect, CTTC is offering transitional contracts of one year so that candidates can start working with us while they apply for pre-doc grants in official programs. They will be expected to prepare their application in collaboration with CTTC for submission to several official predoc fellowship programs. We are looking for highly motivated candidates, with a strong desire to learn and interest in performing cutting edge research in a truly international R&D center.
What do we offer? :
- We have great benefits for employees: conciliation measures (33 business days of vacation, teleworking plan, flexible hours); We complement leaves for temporary disability, tax-free benefits (restaurant ticket, childcare center, commute and medical insurance), continuous training.
- Annual gross salary according to the profile of the candidate
- Full-time contract: 7,5 h/day. Flexibility
- CTTC category: R1A (Level I). More information about CTTC professional categories can be found at this link.
- We offer a predoc position (contract of one year). Candidates are expected to submit grant applications to the official predoctoral programs, at least the Catalan FI call and the Spanish FPU/FPI calls with a CTTC researcher as supervisor and accept the official grant if the application is eventually successful.
- Start date: Given the nature of this call, availability to start immediately will be positively valued.
Qualifications and Experience
We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic, energetic person, aiming at significantly improving his or her career perspectives in both public and private sectors. The successful applicant should have the competences of R1A category.
- Required qualification/skills/experience:
- Candidates must be or have been enrolled in an official Telecom/Electrical Engineering/Computer Science/Geomatics Master program that provides subsequent access to a PhD program (or be enrolled in a PhD program in the same areas).
- They must not hold a PhD title.
- They must not have had any pre-doctoral contract such as FI/FPU/FPI grants or predoctoral contracts as specified in the law of Science and Technology (4/2011, June 1, art. 21).
- Candidates must have a weighted average score of his/her Bachelor/Master degrees equal to or higher than 7.5 in a scale from 0 to 10 (see below for details on how this score is computed).
- Other skills that are valuable, but not mandatory are:
- Good competencies associated with their university degrees related to Telecom/Electrical Engineering/Computer Science/Geomatics.
- Strong oral and written English communication skills.
- Creativity, open-mindedness and integration skills are highly appreciated.
- Selection criteria
Applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Weighted average score of the academic record of the candidate, computed as follows: the average score of the Bachelor Degree will be weighted by 80% and the average score of the Master Degree will be weighted by 20% (4 points).
- Appropriateness of the background of the candidate in Telecoms/Electrical Engineering/ Computer Science/Geomatics, English skills and soft skills (3 points).
- In cases where applicants obtain the same score, priority will be given to female candidates and applicants from underrepresented minorities.
How to apply?
All applications must include:
- A PDF document including (2 pages max): (i) Name of the candidate (ii) brief CV of the candidate, (iii) a paragraph with a description of the topics/area of interest (iv) preferred research unit and/or supervisor (optional).
- Official academic record of the candidate corresponding to his/her Bachelor and Master degree studies, including the date where the corresponding title was obtained and the average score, computed according to the criteria in Real Decreto 1125/2003 (September 5).
- In case of studies taken at foreign institutions, the candidate must also submit an official declaration of equivalences of the average academic score, according to the current dispositions of the Spanish Ministry of Education:
Important: Applications missing any of the above items will be automatically discarded. The application documents must be submitted in pdf format through this online application.
*ONLY APPLICATIONS VIA WEB https://recruitment.cttc.es/ WILL BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION.*
CVs and any other information gathered during this process will be handled confidentially.
Who are we?
- The Center Tecnològic de Telecomunicaciones de Catalunya (CTTC) is a non-profit public sector research institution dedicated to fundamental and applied research activities, focused mainly on technologies related to the physical, data link and network layers of communication systems and Geomatics.
- CTTC received the “HR Excellence in Research” award in 2015 from the European Commission. This is a recognition of the Institute’s commitment to develop a Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R), designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code).
- The CTTC is located in the beautiful Mediterranean Technological Park of Castelldefels, a science park that houses the Polytechnic University of Catalonia, research institutions, innovative companies and startups. The PMT-UPC is located 10 minutes’ walk from the beach and the city center of Castelldefels, also close to childcare centers, public schools and the best international schools. It can be reached by car, train (RENFE) and various bus lines.
- We have 2 buildings on campus, with state-of-the-art facilities, comfortable work spaces, meeting rooms, and multipurpose spaces, as well as social spaces.
- The institute has a multicultural environment with more than 130 members (scientific, technical and administrative staff) from all over the world.
CTTC offers and promotes a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
The CTTC seeks to increase the presence of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages them to stand as candidates.
It is also committed to increasing the number of people with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages their applications.