Who are we looking for?
The Packet Optical Networks and Services (PONS) Research Unit is searching for interested candidates in a Postdoctoral Researcher position. For more information about the PONS Research Unit click here (https://www.cttc.cat/packet-optical-networks-and-services-pons/) .
We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic, empathic person, with passion for research and desire to learn and explore new technologies, aiming at significantly improving her or his scientific career in a stimulating environment and within a dynamic and internationally recognized research group.
The successful candidate will join the PONS Photonic and Quantum Communication Technologies research line to carry out research in topics related to quantum secure communications.
In particular, the successful candidate is expected to investigate novel techniques, protocols, systems and schemes for quantum key distribution (QKD), with special focus on the implementation of continuous variable QKD and efficient solutions easing the coexistence with classical channels, addressing challenges and critical issues related to future quantum networks.
What do we offer?
- We have great benefits for employees: conciliation measures (33 business days of vacation, teleworking plan, flexible hours); We complement leaves for temporary disability, tax-free benefits (restaurant ticket, childcare center, commute and medical insurance), continuous training.
- Annual gross salary according to the profile of the candidate
- Full-time contract: 7,5 h/day. Flexibility
- The position corresponds to the R2 professional category at CTTC. The rank and salary will be determined according to qualifications and work experience. More information about CTTC professional categories can be found at this link (https://www.cttc.cat/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/CTTC-Professional-categories.pdf).
- We offer a postdoc contract with the duration of 24 months.
- The starting date is flexible from July 2022.
We are looking for an open-minded, empathic person, with ability and motivation to conduct high-quality research.
The successful candidate must hold (by the date of the incorporation) a Ph.D. degree in Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics, or closely related fields.
The successful candidate is required to have the following experience/skills:
- Experience in (fiber-based) quantum communications and in particular good knowledge of Quantum Key Distribution
- Strong programming skills in MATLAB and Python
- Experience in optical (fiber-optic) communication systems
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and spoken
Other valuable experience/skills are:
- Good publication record in top scientific peer-reviewed journals and conferences
- Good knowledge of coherent optical transmission techniques
- Familiarity with specific simulation tools for optical systems, such as VPIphotonics
- Experience in experimental fiber-optic and/or quantum communication systems
How to apply?
All applications must include:
- A complete CV, including a list of publications and the contact details of two potential referees
- PhD Degree
- Cover letter stating the motivation and suitability of the candidate
- The application documents must be submitted in pdf format through our website. No applications received by email will be taken consideration for the position.
- CVs and any other information gathered during this process will be handled confidentially. Since the publication date, the offer will be open for 1 month.
Who are we?
- The Center Tecnològic de Telecomunicaciones de Catalunya (CTTC) is a non-profit public sector research institution dedicated to fundamental and applied research activities, focused mainly on technologies related to the physical, data link and network layers of communication systems and Geomatics.
- CTTC has been working towards implementing the points of the Charter and Code (C&C), fulfilling the requirements of the “Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R)” (https://www.cttc.cat/talent/hrs4r/).
- The CTTC is located in the Mediterranean Technological Park of Castelldefels, a science park that houses the Polytechnic University of Catalonia, research institutions, innovative companies and startups. The PMT-UPC is located 10 minutes’ walk from the beach and the city center of Castelldefels, also close to childcare centers, public schools and the best international schools. It can be reached by car, train (RENFE) and various bus lines.
- We have 2 buildings on campus, with state-of-the-art facilities, comfortable work spaces, meeting rooms, and multipurpose spaces, as well as social spaces.
- The institute has a multicultural environment with more than 130 members (scientific, technical and administrative staff) from all over the world.
CTTC offers and promotes a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
The CTTC seeks to increase the presence of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages them to stand as candidates.
It is also committed to increasing the number of people with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages their applications.