Who are we looking for?
The Research Unit on Information and Signal Processing for Intelligent Communications (ISPIC) of the CTTC is searching for interested candidates in a Researcher position.
We are looking for a highly motivated and skilled engineer who is willing to deepen his/her knowledge in AI-related techniques such as deep learning and reinforcement learning applied to wireless communication networks.
The successful candidate will participate in the experimental research activities of the R&D project 6G AI-Native Air Interface (6G-AINA), a three-year project which follows up on the successful predecessor project ARISTIDES (https://aristides.cttc.es/).
The 6G-AINA project aims to contribute algorithmic innovations towards accomplishing a truly AI-native air interface for 6G communication systems. Specifically, AI/ML algorithms will help improve beamforming with NOMA and rate-splitting, extend current proposals of deep learning based coded modulation and waveform designs, as well as enhance the accuracy, sustainability and bandwidth efficiency of extremely large antenna arrays and cell-free massive MIMO networks.
Experimental activities will be based on software defined radio (SDR) modules. The selected candidate is expected to develop demonstrators and an experimental platform based on USRPs to test AI-based communication algorithms under realistic channel conditions. The offered position is an excellent opportunity to further develop the candidate’s SDR skills, acquire state-of-the-art experience on wireless communication networks demonstrators, as well as cutting-edge knowledge on machine learning/AI-related techniques for PHY layer communication systems.
For more information about the 6G-AINA project, visit https://www.cttc.cat/project/6g-ai-native-air-interface/. The project is financed by the Spanish Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities (Grant Number PID2021-128373OB-I00).
What do we offer? :
- We offer an indefinite contract of scientific technical activities, subject to the 6G-AINA project duration (approximately 2 years, depending on hiring date).
- Annual gross salary according to the profile of the candidate
- Full-time contract: 7,5 h/day. Flexibility
- Expected professional category:
Exceptional candidates may be considered even if they do not meet all the requirements. In this case the professional category will be based on the qualifications and experience of the applicant according with CTTC professional categories procedure(https://www.cttc.cat/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/CTTC-Professional-categories.pdf).
- Prospect start date: May 2023
- Continuous training, access to lab facilities, state of the art infrastructure and polyvalent working spaces, participation in scientific events and R&D projects, complementary skills development.
- Possibility to enroll in a Phd Program (Phd fees paid by CTTC)
- We have great benefits for employees:
- Paid time off: vacation (33 working days per year), holidays, sick and parental leave and more.
- Up to 3 days of Telework per week (2 fixed + 1 upon request). Other requests may be studied to accommodate special needs.
- Flexible working hours for work-life balance
- Tax-free optional benefits: restaurant ticket, nursery ticket, transport pass, private health insurance for employees and family.
- Career path promotion (either professional category and/or annual gross salary)
- Annual productivity upon performance
- Possibility to complement the salary with personal grants.
Qualifications and Experience
- We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic, energetic person, aiming at significantly improving his or her career perspectives in both public and private sectors.
Applicants must have a Bachelor or Master‘s (preferably) degree in Telecommunications, Electronic Engineering, Computer Science or a closely related field.
- Solid understanding of the fundamentals of PHY layer wireless communications engineering
- Good knowledge of software-defined radio technologies (e.g. GNU Radio)
- Programming skills (e.g., Python, C++)
- Ability to work autonomously and be an excellent team player.
Other skills that are valuable, but not mandatory are:
- Familiarity with Machine Learning frameworks such as TensorFlow or PyTorch
- Experience in R&D or industrial projects carried out either in the context of research institutions or industry
- Testbed management and experience on proof-of-concept / demonstration development
- Proficiency in code versioning (git or similar)
- Contributions to open source projects
- English skills
Even if you do not meet all the requirements, we encourage you to apply.
The candidates’ past performance but also future potential will be considered as criteria for selecting researchers.
How to apply?
All applications must include:
- A complete CV, including a list and description of past projects and/or publications (if applicable).
- BSc. or MSc. degree.
- Cover letter stating the motivation and suitability of the candidate.
- The contact details of two potential referees (optional).
The application documents must be submitted in pdf format through this online application.
*ONLY APPLICATIONS VIA WEB https://www.cttc.cat/talent/careers/job-openings/ WILL BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION.*
CVs and any other information gathered during this process will be handled confidentially.
Who are we?
- The Center Tecnològic de Telecomunicaciones de Catalunya (CTTC) is a non-profit public sector research institution dedicated to fundamental and applied research activities, focused mainly on technologies related to the physical, data link and network layers of communication systems and Geomatics.
- CTTC received the “HR Excellence in Research” award in 2015 from the European Commission and successfully passed into the Award Renewal phase in 2023. This is a recognition of the Institute’s commitment to develop a Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R), designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code). Our institution’s comprehensive analysis and HRS4R action plan meet all the requirements of progress and quality of our HR policies. CTTC promotes itself as a provider of a stimulating and favourable work environment for researchers.
- The CTTC is located in the beautiful Mediterranean Technological Park of Castelldefels, a science park that houses the Polytechnic University of Catalonia, research institutions, innovative companies and startups. The PMT-UPC is located 10 minutes’ walk from the beach and the city center of Castelldefels, also close to childcare centers, public schools and the best international schools. It can be reached by car, train (RENFE) and various bus lines.
- We have 2 buildings on campus, with state-of-the-art facilities, comfortable work spaces, meeting rooms, and multipurpose spaces, as well as social spaces.
- The institute has a multicultural environment with more than 130 members (scientific, technical and administrative staff) from all over the world.
CTTC offers and promotes a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
The CTTC seeks to increase the presence of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages them to stand as candidates.
It is also committed to increasing the number of people with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages their applications.